Independence, initiative, decision making, creativity, the ability to learn, relationships and feelings of self-worth - all have their beginnings in early childhood.
We believe that each child is unique and, together with parents as our partners, we build upon children's natural curiosity and spontaneity, encouraging and supporting them as they take their first step into school.
In safe and caring environments, guided by qualified and caring professionals, Kindergarten students:
- try new things, take risks and learn to accept rules and responsibility while developing positive relationships with
- build on and develop problem-solving skills and the language/reading base already begun in the home;
- develop attitudes and behaviours that promote wellness and a healthy lifestyle;
- become aware of similarities and differences between themselves and others, and use their senses to explore,
- investigate and describe their environments; and
- express themselves through poetry, songs and drama.
What parents need to know about Kindergarten
Children must be 5 years old on or before December 31st of the year they begin kindergarten. Birth certificate is required upon registration.
Transportation is provided to Kindergarten students who attend their designated school and live more than 2.4 km away from this school. Please visit our Transportation Registration pages of the Elk Island Catholic Schools website (www.eics.ab.ca) for more information on Transportation Services for your Kindergarten student. We encourage Kindergarten students and their parents to attend First Riders' Night in the late summer/early fall each year to learn about yellow bus safety and rules for riding.
To register for Kindergarten at St. Nicholas, please create an account on School Engage and log into the following portal:https://eics.schoolengage.ca/#/login